ARAB MUSIC INSTRUCTION FROM MASTER TEACHING ARTISTS
ACT 48 CREDIT Available for teachers through Philadelphia Arts in Education Partnership (PAEP)
Led by music director and violin virtuoso HANNA KHOURY with percussionist HAFEZ KOTAIN and cellist/maqam theory specialist KINAN ABOU-AFACH, the Philadelphia Arab Music Ensemble and Philadelphia Arab Percussion Ensembles are community ensembles open to middle/high school and college students and adults. Singers and percussionists of all skill levels and intermediate to advanced instrumentalists (must read music) of strings and wind are invited to join. No audition is necessary.
• Choir: 6-7:00pm with Hanna Khoury
• Percussion: 6-7:00pm (advanced level) and 7-8:00pm (beginner-intermediate level) with Hafez Kotain
• Instrumentalists (wind/string and select percussionists): 7-8:30pm led by Hanna Khoury with Kinan Abou-afach and Hafez Kotain
Fees:* $350 for Spring Semester (14 sessions):
Jan 15, 22, 29; Feb 5, 12, 19, 26; Mar 5, (no class Mar 12- Spring Break), 19, 26; Apr 2, 9, 16, 23
* Note: No fee required for enrolled UPenn students who can take it for .5 course credit: Arab Music Ensemble Course – MUSC 007
* Note: $35 additional fee for educators applying for ACT 48 Credit
– I loved the passion, dedication, and soulful musicianship of all the instrumentalists and instructors.
– I learned many Arabic songs that taught me about elements of Arabic history and language.
– Hanna’s focus on pronunciation was critical to approaching the musicality of the pieces. I learned a lot and had fun. This experience showed me how much I want to continue learning and making Arab music, it touches me deeply.
Reviews from past participants