Posted February 10, 2018
Scope of Work:
1. Managing Al-Bustan’s public art installation “An Immigrant Alphabet” created by guest artist Wendy Ewald with Northeast High School students; a series of civic activities developed around the installation – creating cultural exchange forums in schools and community settings that encourage dialogue around issues of immigration, and designing creative ways to represent and engage with the diversity and complexity of people who live in our city and country. Primary responsibilities:
• coordinating with team members on completion of report documenting the findings and impact of the installation and activities since the installation in September 2017
• liaising with city officials and civic organizations around the project
• communicating with educators, teaching artists, and school administrators around immigration themes, leading workshops and installation tours
• lesson planning and curriculum development for a diverse group of learners
• planning and coordinating a series of workshops, forums and presentations with various partners
• disseminating information to and networking with immigrant communities and resettlement organizations
• development of content for iAlphabet.org website
2. Assisting in development of educational programming in West Philadelphia as Al-Bustan expands to have an administrative/program space in the neighborhood around 40th Street over the coming year
3. Engaging in continuous self-education and research that draws on Arab arts, culture and history, through readings, online resources, and exchanges with knowledgeable scholars, artists, and educators.
• Education: must have Masters degree in Education, Social Sciences, Arts Administration, or related fields
• Experience: must have at least 2 years experience working in an educational institution, non-profit arts education organization, or project implementation working with diverse constituencies of youth and adults of various ethnic/religious/socio-economic backgrounds
• excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills
• excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task
• strong creative, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
• friendly, pro-active can-do attitude
• able to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team
• proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications
• preferably conversant or fluent in the Arabic language or another language
This is a full-time position reporting to the Executive Director, and requires working collaboratively with Al-Bustan team members, coordinating with project consultants, and managing several project assistants, interns, and volunteers. Availability for some weeknight and weekend events is required occasionally.
To apply, send cover letter, resume with 3 references, and writing sample (or lesson plan) to hsayed–at–albustanseeds.org
Throughout the year we invite artists with a particular interest and experience in Arab arts and culture to contact us. We also invite students or individuals interested in a work-study position, volunteer internship during the school year or as a camp counselor during the summer to contact us.
Al-Bustan is an equal opportunity employer.